So You Want to Become a Fundraising Consultant?

I just heard about yet another talented Director of Development leaving the fundraising trenches and becoming a consultant. *sigh*  There’s something about that job model that either sends people into consulting or out of the sector entirely.  And why is that?  Because it’s HARD.

Photo by Côte d’Azur on Flickr.com
If you’re thinking about making a move, here are some considerations based on my own journey as a fundraising consultant over the last year and a half.

PROS

At the top of the list of pros would be flexibility, the ability to set my own schedule.  When I worked a 9-5 job, we would get in the door at 6 pm and have to rush through homework and dinner to reach a reasonable bed time.  Now my kids come directly home from school and the time pressure is off.  I can go to a parent conference or a doctor’s appointment in the middle of the day.  I can attend professional development and networking events without having to get them “approved.”

Next up I would say variety.  Because I work for a number of different clients at any one time, there is a lot of variety in my day-to-day work.  And I’m constantly learning about new missions and cultures in ways that enrich my understanding of the challenges that small and medium sized nonprofits typically face.

And lastly, the ability to complete a thought.  When you’re in the trenches, there is a lot of pressure to get through an unwieldy ‘to do’ list (that may or may not be achievable).  Taking the time to attend a workshop or read a book or blog about how to do your job better sometimes feels like an impossible luxury.  As a consultant, it’s my job to keep abreast of the latest trends and best practices.  Not only can I invest the time in learning, I also have the time to reflect on what I’ve learned and make connections.

CONS

The biggest drawback to being self-employed is the irregular paycheck.  While my hourly rate as a consultant is a lot higher than it was as a full-time employee, I can’t count on a consistent workload.  I’ve been lucky that word of mouth has provided a steady stream of projects so far.  The hardest part of being a fundraising consultant for me isn’t the actual work, or even the running of the business, it’s the self-promotion.  I have always allowed my work to speak for itself, but now I need to be pushing out messages about how awesome I am.  Not a comfortable area for me.

This may sound self-explanatory, but as an independent contractor, if I can’t work, I don’t get paid.  If I come down with a cold, I don’t have any paid sick days.  There’s no paid vacation time.  I’m currently in my third week of serving on a jury - that’s ten days at the courthouse where not only can I not work for my current clients, I also can’t be out in the field looking for new clients.

Lastly, I miss having a deep connection to one organization’s mission.  When you work for a nonprofit, not only do you develop relationships with coworkers and board members, you also get to see that organization change and grow over time.  You can watch an aspirational goal be achieved and feel like you were part of it.  As a consultant, I always feel like I’m just visiting.  It reminds me of temping when I first graduated from college.  You’re physically present, but you’re not really part of the family.


Those are some of the pros and cons that I’ve found so far in this experience.  Overall, I’m very happy with where I am professionally right now.  I feel fortunate that my family is in a position to take the risk of starting a business.  And it’s great to be able to focus my energies on the projects that I know I’m good at, unlike a Director of Development who wears many hats, some of which may not fit well (or at all).

Comments